CIVIL BUSINESS LITIGATION
At Think Defense, we represent people and businesses in high-stakes civil cases. As a former litigator at O’Melveny & Myers, one of the largest powerhouse law firms in the world, Mr. Dabiri has represented ordinary people, small businesses, and Fortune 500 companies alike, and he applies that experience to position his clients for the best possible outcome in a civil action. If that means compromise then we negotiate assiduously on your behalf. If that means trial then we prepare your case to win. On a select basis, we handle the following types of civil cases among others.
- Libel or slander
- Breach of contract
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Discrimination or harassment
- Labor and employment practices
- Misappropriation of trade secrets
- Partnership disputes and dissolution
- Copyright and trademark infringement
In the last few years, we have successfully litigated the following matters among others.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims against an elder-care facility that was sued for wage-and-hour violations and unfair business practices
- Defended a series of administrative actions by the California Secretary of State in response to the robo-signing mortgage-foreclosure scandals
- Defended a bank executive who served as chief credit officer against an enforcement action by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
- Defended a retail family business against an enforcement action by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Recovered over 93% of cash and currency seized from client by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at Los Angeles International Airport
- Assisted in the defense of city council members from the City of Cudahy against claims brought under the False Claims Act
FEDERAL AND STATE ASSET FORFEITURE
Asset forfeiture refers to the government’s ability to seize and confiscate property that’s either used to facilitate a crime or derived from the proceeds of a crime. If the government thinks your property fits the bill, it will take as much of it as it can.
These civil cases often run parallel to criminal investigations or prosecutions, but the government may seize your property without ever charging you with a crime, let alone convicting you of one. And make no mistake, they will want to keep it.
In all cases, you will forfeit your claim to your property if you don’t act promptly. In some cases, you may be able to use streamlined procedures to challenge the forfeiture without going to court. Otherwise, you must take the government to court and litigate. Either way, you must press your rights promptly or you’ll waive them.
But you can’t do it alone. If there is any criminal exposure at all then you must have legal representation to even communicate with the other side, and if you’re not sure then you should consult with counsel first. The government can use anything you do communicate against you. And even if there’s no risk of criminal exposure, you will need an experienced attorney to develop your best case and present it to the government, the court, or a jury.
As a former federal prosecutor, Mr. Dabiri has litigated forfeiture cases from both sides. If we can resolve your case favorably without going to court, we’ll put your best foot forward. And if your case must go to court, we’ll meet the government in the center of the ring.
So call us today.
WHISTLEBLOWER ACTIONS AND INVESTIGATIVE REFERRALS
We represent brave whistleblowers who expose fraud or other wrongdoing against public programs, public funds, or the public markets in securities, commodities, or derivatives. We’re able to bring cases under state or federal statutes, and we’re able to communicate with state or federal agencies to fast-track meritorious cases while protecting you. If you believe you’re a witness to major public fraud, please give us a call.
We’re also consulted to investigate cases on behalf of people and businesses who believe they are the victim of crime or fraud and to prepare referrals to law-enforcement agencies. We’re able to communicate with state and federal agencies, including the offices of city attorneys, district attorneys, and U.S. attorneys, to see if a matter is appropriate for criminal prosecution. As a former prosecutor, Mr. Dabiri knows how to properly vet a case to test its integrity and determine whether it meets prosecution guidelines.
Whether you are pursuing or embroiled in civil litigation, contact us today. We will know how to vindicate your cause and advance your goals.
Irvine, California 92614
Phone: (949) 833-7112
I highly recommend Mani Dabiri
Mr. Dabiri is an excellent attorney. He is professional, ethical and sensitive to his clients situation. I highly recommend Mr. Dabiri. He helped me navigate uncharted legal waters successfully.
– a client (5 star review)